The Gramophone: Today's Best Electronic / Pop Band
Reviews, Streams, and News about Fresh, New Indie / Alternative Music.

Saturday, September 1, 2012

Today's Best Electronic / Pop Band

Lately, I've been a little obsessed with this great band: Passion Pit. I stumbled upon them while searching for some good new music, and I instantly fell in love with them. They are an electronic / pop band, but there's something different and great about them. The lead singer, Michael Angelakos, has an amazing vocal range (four octaves), and usually sings in his amazing falsetto. I do realize, however, that they aren't for everyone. My sister claims their music makes her physically ill.

The band has released an EP, Chunk of Change, and two LPs: Manners and Gossamer. The band started out as just Angelakos, who wrote the first Passion Pit songs that would soon be made into Chunk of Change as a gift to his girlfriend. Angelakos started doing solo shows, and was approached by Ian Hultquist. The two started collaborating, and later formed the band, adding new members Ayad Al Adhamy, Thom Plasse, and Adam Lavinsky (Thom and Adam were later replaced by Jeff Apruzzese and Nate Donmoyer). Their albums have been well received (especially by me), and they are often featured in advertisements and TV shows (I heard one of their songs in a Taco Bell commercial a few days ago. Made my day). You can hear some of my favorite songs of theirs below.


Take a Walk - Passion Pit
Constant Conversation - Passion Pit
Moth's Wings - Passion Pit


Comment, let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment